Horseback riding South America
Recommendations: Frequently asked questions
We give you a few tips to take into consideration before and during your horse ride. Our years of experience show us that they will surely be very helpful:
What should I wear?
- Long trousers
- Closed footwear (with rubber sole, as smooth as possible; preferably: riding boots)
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Tight hat with chinstrap
- Coat (even in the summer, evenings can be cold!!)
- Raincoat (at least if the weather forecast predicts that it will probably rain during the horse trail ride)
- If it’s hot, use a swimsuit under your clothes during the horse trail ride
PS: Don’t wear jewelry or valuable items during the horseback ride.
What can’t I forget?
- To wear sunscreen all day and to reapply it once every few hours (even in the winter: the sun burns a lot when you’re outdoors all day).
- To carry water in all the courses of the horse trail ride (at least a bottle of water of half a liter per person), it won’t be supplied by the company.
- To take your regular medication, to do it also during the course of your tour if it’s a part of your routine (also take into consideration the allergy cases).
PS: Only in case of, the guide will always carry a first aid kit, which will only be used in emergencies. The guide is not qualified to administer any medication that is not covered by the first aid parameters.
Which precautions should I have BEFORE the journey?
- If you’re carrying a cell phone, you should make sure you’ll make the necessary changes to have signal in Rocha.
- Leave a tour program, phone number and location of Cabalgatas Valiceras to a relative or a friend, case they need to contact them, even if you’re carrying your cell phone.
- Leave your car keys at the hotel or in our Meeting Point in Valizas, it is safer than carrying them with you and running the risk of losing them.
Which precautions should I have DURING the journey?
- Rocha’s beaches are known for their dangers to swimmers; therefore you shall always ask the group leader if a beach is safe or too dangerous to swim.
- Recomenda-se que em cada paragem e antes de sair do hotel que se desloquem ao banheiro, pois estaremos várias horas percorrendo praias sem disponibilidade de utilizar o banheiro. Diante de uma “emergência” consulte o responsável do grupo.
- We advise that at each stop, and before leaving the hotel, that you use the bathroom, because we will be traveling through beaches for several hours without being able to use the bathroom. Faced with an “emergency”, please refer to the group leader.
- Do not carry loaded backpacks on your shoulders nor bags during the horse trail ride, even if you can tie them to the harness they end up being uncomfortable after several hours. Ideally, you should take “saddlebags”, which will be provided by the company, but in any case we recommend traveling only with your clothes, papers and money.
- Have lunch in moderation, since we will also be riding in the afternoon.
What do I do if I get lost?
- In dangerous and emergency situations remain calm, and only follow the group leader instructions.
- If a rider leaves the group and gets lost, please call the following phone number: +(598) 99 574 685. If you don’t see any house, town, or village, continue alongside the sea, eastward (the sea is always at your right side, the dunes or the countryside are always at your left side) until you find a town, house or place where you can make a phone call. Never go back westward, always move east.
- Children less than 15 years of age, in the event of finding themselves lost should first and foremost dismount the horse, leaving it loose even if the horse is left alone. Then, they should sit on the beach, or along the path, and wait until we come back to find them.